Flickr post, Uploaded on March 15, 2007 by amaah.
"
amaah
says:
I actually wrote quite a long essay discussing this and a few other posters by the same artist; see articles of faith for more details and a stab at answering some of these questions. There's also a set of the other posters which are in the same vein.R. Nkwonta of CAS Creations is the artist, and I've seen
I believe Onye Iru Abua is an Igbo saying but none of my Nigerian friends have volunteered a translation.
Christian churches come in all forms in Nigeria and much of West Africa - priests are similarly diverse. The clothes and architecture allude to some of the older churches say from the colonial era. The intent, I'd assume, is to remove any hint of ambiguity in the Christian church aspect of the poster. I'd assume that the priest is Nigerian.
The scene on the right is of a fetish shrine (or juju ceremony) or simply of traditional, native gods - see this illustration for example. It combines every stereotype of traditional religious practice in Nigeria. Some traditions emphasize different aspects - sacrificing animals, nudity, gifts of fruits, kola nuts, yams, plants, etc, Shrines come in all sorts - some humble, some ornate.
I'd guess that rooster is supposed to be sacrificed to the traditional god - your reading of Peter's denial is ingenious and might well be what Nkwonta is getting at - I couldn't say.
There is intense competition in religious practices in Nigeria and much of West Africa - this poster can be read as propaganda Christian propaganda against heathens. It is also speaking to church orthodoxy, perhaps labeling the more charismatic and evangelical churches as inauthentic, and their practices as akin to heathens."